1966 GT350 Shelby Mustang
The 1966 Vin Numbers
The numbers are stamped into the aluminum manufacturer's plate which is pop-riveted to
the driver's side inner fender panel, over the Ford VIN at the notch in the fender edge.
It is visible when the hood is open.
- Stamped into
the passenger's side inner front fender panel, approximately halfway between the radiator support and the firewall.
Visible when the hood is open.
- Ford serial number stamped into inner fender panel; one covered by Shelby
serial number plate, other two covered by edge of the front fenders, not visible
when the hood is open.
- Ford door data plates were not installed at the factory; holes were drilled
and are sometimes filled with rivets but no data plates were used.
The VIN Breakdown
S - Shelby
F - Ford
M - Mustang
5 - Model Year 1966
S - Street ( No competition GT 350's were produced in 1966)
123 - consecutive production number; begins with 001 and ends with 2380
- Stamped into the driver's side inner fender panel; at the notch in the fender; covered
by the Shelby VIN
- Stamped into driver's side inner panel; at the outside edge near the shock tower.
Visible only with the fender removed.
- Stamped into the passenger's side inner fender panel, at the outside edge near shock
tower. Visible only with the fender removed.
- Stamped on the original engine block, on passenger side beneath front exhaust port.
6 - Model year 1966
R - Assembly Plant (San Jose)
09 - Body Code (2-door fastback)
K - Engine Code (289/271hp)
123456 - Consecutive Ford production (each model year, each assembly plant
begins production with the number 100001 and continues for each unit built. Shelby bound
Mustangs were built in large groups with consecutive numbers but the groups were
interspersed with standard Mustangs, Falcons, Comets, and Fairlanes during production.)
1966 GT 350 Interior Colors
All interiors were black.
* * * * * * * * * *
1966 GT350 Production Totals
Standard GT 350
GT 350 Hertz Fastbacks
GT 350 Drag Cars
GT 350 Convertibles
Total 1966 GT 350's
(Source of information Shelby American World Registry, The Shelby American Auto Club, PO Box 788 Sharon, CT
06069. Get your own 1998 Version.)
Return to the prior page